30/01/14

The Violin, and the consolation it afforded...

© Steve McQueen | 12 Years a Slave, 2013 

"During my residence with Master Ford I had seen only the bright side of slavery. His was no heavy hand crushing us to the earth. He pointed upwards, and with benign and cheering words addressed us as his fellow-mortals, accountable, like himself, to the Maker of us all. I think of him with affection, and had my family been with me, could have borne his gentle servitude, without murmuring, all my days. But clouds were gathering in the horizon —forerunners of a pitiless storm that was soon to break over me. I was doomed to endure such bitter trials as the poor slave only knows, and to lead no more the comparatively happy life which I had led in the Great Pine Woods." 

Solomon Northup, in "Twelve years a slave - Narrative of Solomon Northup, a citizen of New-York, kidnapped in Washington city in 1841 and rescued in 1853, from a cotton plantation near the Red River in Louisiana"

Sem comentários:

Enviar um comentário